Exploring the Hidden History of Alcatraz Prison
Alcatraz Cruises takes you back in time
As we sailed across San Francisco Bay to Alcatraz, a friendly member of the staff welcomed us on board, provided us with some practical information, and introduced us to the history of Alcatraz. When we docked on the island, we were met by several members of the National Park staff who explained the evening's program and also informed us about the best time and location for sunset shots.
Centuries of history before "The Rock"
Hutterite heritage and a pacifist prison
The Alcatraz audio tour is amazing
A spooky stillness
Only on the night tour
San Francisco's best attraction
Practical information for visiting Alcatraz Island
- Booking in advance is highly recommended, as I saw several people being turned away on our tour.
- Wear warm clothing and bring along a rain jacket. A small backpack would be useful for storing your layers once inside.
- Wear sturdy footwear as some surfaces are uneven and there is a steep walk up from the dock. Those with mobility challenges can opt to ride up the hill in an electronic tram.
- No food or drink is sold on Alcatraz and none - other than water - is permitted to be consumed.
- If you are visiting on a Friday or Sunday morning, you can join a docent-led tour of the historic flower gardens of Alcatraz. The story of the gardens is awe inspiring and, on my next visit to San Francisco, this is the tour I want to do!
As always, I welcome and encourage your comments: Would you ever include a prison visit in your travels? What about historical sites?
If you enjoyed this article, you'll also like:
The Tower of London for 55 Pence
Travel Value All Stars: Walking Tours
Where In The World Are You Sleeping? San Francisco's Historic Hostel
Our tour was sponsored by Alcatraz Cruises. This did not affect my review and all opinions remain my own.