Traveling by boat is one of the nicest ways to get around Myanmar.
This was the transportation dilemma we faced before deciding to include boat travel in our plans. We needed to go from Mandalay to Bagan, but the expense of flying was out of the question and neither the lengthy bus nor ancient train offered a comfortable or efficient option (as we would find out later in the trip!) That left the Irrawaddy River for a decidedly slow but relatively pleasant commute.
We booked our passage the day before through our guest house, paying $50 US per person (ticket plus their service fee). On the MGRG website (find it here http://www.mgrgexpress.com/) the rate is listed as $45 US per person. Our trip included two meals, water, and soft drinks. From what other travellers have told us, prices have remained steady since our trip in late 2013.
Mandalay-Bagan Travel Resources.
- Everyone's looking for MGRG's website! Here it is!
- Want to hear more reviews about MRGR and other river boats in Myanmar? Check out this listing on Trip Advisor.
- Want more Myanmar inspiration? You'll love Wandering iPhone, run by my good friend Andrea.
- Want to hear more about different transportation options in Myanmar? My favourite resource is The Man in Seat 61.
- In Mandalay, we stayed at the Mandalay View Inn, which we were very happy with. You can see reviews and search for bargains on Trip Advisor, Expedia, and Hotels Combined.
- In Bagan, we stayed at the Amazing Bagan Resort, which really WAS amazing! But don't take our word for it - you can see what everyone else thought about it on Trip Advisor, Expedia, and Hotels Combined.
Please check out our other blog posts about Myanmar!
The BEST Travel Experience of my Life: Balloons Over Bagan
The WORST Travel Experience of my Life: The Overnight Train from Bagan to Yangon
Min-Ga-La-Ba Myanmar! All About Mandalay Airport
Day 9 of our Round-The-World Trip: Mandalay
Besotted with Bagan: Day 10 &11 of Our Round The World Trip
At Long Last: Yangon. Day 12 &13 of Our Round The World Trip
Guesthouse Review: Motherland Inn 2, Yangon
We have more visitors to this article than anything else on the blog and we're SO excited that so many of you are traveling to Myanmar! We'd love to hear about your trip and, in particular, hear your thoughts about traveling on the Irrawaddy.
New to TurnipseedTravel? Check out THIS PAGE to learn more about us, our travels, and to sign up for our newsletter.
We leave you with a few more pictures from our day along the Irrawaddy.